About Me

My photo
I am the very proud mom of 3 fabulous little boys, I have recently suffered the loss of my 4th baby boy and soon after was diagnosed as having Thyroid cancer. I am trying to find my way through this darkness and I am hoping that getting all of my feelings and emotions out might help. we will see...

Be Gentle.

If you are new to my blog, I would recommend starting from the beginning and working yourself up to present. At this point my blog consists of two parts of my life, losing my baby and recieving a cancer diagnosis. I will be the first to admit that I skip around alot. This blog is starting out as a sort of therapy for me (I hope) so please dont judge too harshly as I am very new to the world of blogging.







Monday, February 22, 2010

as if it wasnt bad enough...

So, along with just having lost my baby, I have also just lost my thyroid. Without my thyroid, my body can not produce or control my hormones, which happen to be going crazy as it is. To be fair, the Doctors put me on hormone replacement medications following my second surgery. One pill, three times a day. It's hard to say how well it is working seeing as I feel like a menopausal woman. Hot flashes followed by extreme chills, mood swings (sorry family) and weight loss (this, I will not complain about). Add to that the diet that I have started that does not allow iodine, it's hard to fathom just how restrictive this diet could be, but trust me. It is. No dairy, No eggs, no bread with over 20mg of sodium (i.e. no bread), no prepared food, no condiments, no meat (this doesn't hurt, I have been a vegetarian for 15 years) EVERYTHING must be homemade from scratch from a limited amount of acceptable ingredients. I understand why I have to be so restricted but it doesn't mean I like it.
On the other hand I have discovered that I am capable of making and baking from scratch, I have come up with some rather interesting meals :) but at this point, food is fuel.
I will share one amazing recipe that I found and I love. It is a simple salad (no spinach, it's restricted) with a dressing that consists of 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, a couple tbs. of sugar and 1/2 cup of mashed strawberries ( I put mine in a food processor) top the salad with the dressing, some extra quartered strawberries, a handful of blueberries and top it off with some toasted slivered almonds (unsalted). Delicious!







No comments:

Post a Comment